26 December 2013

Sing, choirs of Angels...

The plan is a bunch of angels, singing their little hearts out....

The first one is done, now I just need a couple more to make the choir!



I don't like the arms on this one, and I tried to use normal fabric as the base instead of felt, with limited  success. It was too transparent, and even after 2 layers of white paint on the tin, you can still see the design of the tin through it, hence the layers of lace covering it up......

I do, however, like the book and how it slots into the hand.  This one was made from felt and it's a little thick. I now have some black card stock to use that is lighter and thinner, and so should look better.

I am thinking the next one will use tulle stitched onto the felt before it's applied to the tin. This one was glued and it's hard to get the gathers to sit nicely.  I had to cover the join with ribbon, which is now hidden under the extra lace I had to use to cover over a glue mark right at the front! Grrr! I was going to leave it as per below, but it didn't have any zing, and I found the silver lace in my stash already.....


The wings are purchased - pack of 6 for $2! What a great deal!! They are perhaps a tad smaller than I would like, but cheap and cheerful is fine by me. I think I have only had to buy the balls for the head (I think $3 for about 30 balls), the wings and a couple of colours of felt I didn't have (or used up....) They do packs of 3 colours at Spotlight for $1.50, or single pieces for $1. Total so far, not much at all!! Fabric I had, tins I had, paint, wool and felt I had. Oh, the split pins I bought, too, but it's a box of 100, so will last for a while yet. 

Overall, I'm liking this concept! Will try a boy also, with top hat and tails. I have 40+ tins still available to play with, so failure is no problem! Just grab another one and try again... ;)