17 June 2012

DOCS Ted upgrade

DOCS Ted has had a minor upgrade.....

He was a hit at work, however the first comment was "he needs a belt". How could I refuse a request like that??? So, between mum and myself we threw around some ideas, and came up with 2 possibilities : a small cat collar, or a watch band.

Working from those ideas, and since it was the weekend, I went to our local market and having no success on the pet collar, managed to spot a jewellery shop. After explaining what I was looking for, the lady had the PERFECT little watch band buckle - and she let me have it for FREE!! Such a nice lady!! Its a bit hard to see in the pic, but I used a textured tape to make the belt, and added a couple of belt loops for good measure. I may remove the back part of the belt and just fix it at the sides at a later date. I just wants to curl up at the back, and looks a bit ordinary. The tape I used was pretty light - it is meant to be used for stopping seams from stretching on knit fabrics, like the shoulder seams. It was the perfect width, and I even chose it before I found the watch buckle. Coincidence or good luck?? Who cares, it worked!! LOL!!

He also got a V-neck vest, since he was drowning in BEIGE......... Of course, I don't knit, but I found this heavily textured rib in my stash, and it turned out brilliantly - first time!!

Not the best pics - sorry! I was in such a rush to get it done and back to work that I just pointed my phone at him, but you get the general idea! I will try and get some better shots of the whole gang some time this week........


Next project is in the works, too. I was lying in bed this morning thinking about Christmas in July, and how I still have a box of scraps left over from my last Christmas doll quilt. Also, the Canning Show schedule will be out soon, and I have nothing completed yet to go in it!! So I started google-ing Christmas Table Runner, and found a few interesting designs, but then, as if on cue, I was playing on my Flipboard app and found the perfect pattern!! And here it is....

ET phone home

Big thanks to lilysquilts.blogspot.com.au for her free template. I have printed out the pattern pieces and I already have the Christmas prints cut into scraps - just need to decide if I am going to do random triangles or actually structure the traditional red/green/white scenario. Knowing me and structure, I will probably go with the random effect. I have soooo many Christmas print fabrics I could probably make it without repeating one single design! Almost......

Anyway, since its really cold and wintery here in Perth, it may just be an excuse to put on the iron for a bit of paper piecing next weekend. I have done little lately for my own benefit, unless you count a few baby bags for Santas. Time for some sewing just for me. Just because.......