30 September 2016

Super Troopers - Tutorial

The superhero capes I made recently were based on a sports bib type design, with a cape attached. (Bought one on the left, mine on the right)

Firstly I made my pattern. You could use a commercial pattern or existing shirt as a guide. Basically it's two squares with a head hole, plus a cape. 

Next I needed to do my logo... You can find different versions online, but I have gone with the classic design.

Copy the design onto the back of the visoflix, in reverse. This will be ironed onto the wrong side of the red fabric.

Cut out on the lines, making sure to remove the inside pieces, too!

With the yellow, since it is a bit transparent, I fused some vilene to the back. Use your logo as a guide, and cut out a piece big enough to fit. Iron this onto the wrong side of the yellow fabric. This is optional, but gives the yellow more pop, since the underneath colour can't show through...

You can now peel the back off the red part, and place it on top of the yellow.

One happy with the positioning, iron to secure the glue.

You can now trim the yellow back to the red edge. You could zig zag the edges, but I like to use a raw edge stitch. This is quick, and the iron on adhesive should hold it all together. 

At this stage, I only do the inside, as the outside will be completed when it is attached to the front. I prefer to not back stitch, but pull the threads to the back. I secured with some knots and a drop of fray stop.

You can now stitch the logo to the front. I folded the front in half, same with the logo, and eyeballed the height. Just put it where it looks best ;) 

We can now assemble all of the parts ;)

There is little to do with the cape, except edge stitch. Since this is made from stretch fabric, it was unlikely to fray but gave a better finish. I used matching thread on my over locker and went around the three outside edges, with a dot of fray stop in the corners.

Stitch the cape to the neck, right side to wrong side of the back. Turn righ side out.

With the front, edge stitch the neck. Knit fabric doesn't fray, so I didn't neaten the edges, but if using a woven fabric this will be necessary. Also, the curve is easy to turn, but a woven fabric could use be done with bias binding, but remember to trim the seam allowance first...

Fold the edges under on the other three sides of both front and back.

Now, for the shoulder seams. I had originally planned for the cape to sit flat, but after pinning it, I decided to put a pleat in it to give it a bit of movement. Stitch across both shoulder seams, right sides together.

Last step, add some elastic to the sides.

And that it it! 

19 September 2016

Mini supers - revisited

My aunt is moving house soon, so she gave me a box of fabric that she no longer wanted. In the box was several metres of Superman blue and red knit, plus some woven in similar colours.

The last lot of supers I made were cut out for me, but this time I made my own pattern. Since I don't have any kids around to try them on, they may be a little on the big side, but it is based on the size of the original commercial version so it can't be that far off. Looking at the previous ones, they fit the same on the chair, so I'm guessing they are very similar in size... Might reduce it down just a little bit for next time, just to be safe :)


02 September 2016

Upcycled cushion

Mum gave me some preprinted panels and a lovely embroidery of a ship, on linen. I considered a bag, but with the embroidery, it could be damaged very quickly. There was enough to make a decent sized cushion, but it definitely needed a border. My instant reaction was for stripes - probably because of the nautical theme.... ;)

It was washed and pressed, squared up and border put on. I had this particular stripe in my stash, although I didn't think I would have enough. I did assess alternatives, but this was always my fave! I had just enough for the front border, but had to use another fabric for the back. I had some neutral cotton, which did the trick. The main body at the back is made with the leftover fabric.

It does have a couple of age spots and the top right corner was thinning, but it it adds to its charm ;) I put some new threads in the worn spot and used some iron-on interfacing on the inside to support it. Hopefully it holds....

Inserted zip along the flange border, finished size approx 50cm x 50cm, cushion size 30cm square.