12 November 2016

The Force is strong with this one....

My boss is soon to have a baby, so what could I do but make her something special? On her desk is a Storm Trooper and R2D2, so I thought a Star Wars theme quilt would be perfect! :)

I remember seeing a pattern on Fandom in Stitches, and it was a toss up between R2 and BB8, but 
R2 won out. http://www.fandominstitches.com/2010/03/star-wars.html


I enlarged R2 from A4 to A3, and kept the words at the original size. After completing both parts, it was a bit bland, so I framed up R2 in red, and echoed the same for the binding. I would have preferred it a bit wider, but it still looks good (I think?) The backing is a polar fleece blanket from IKEA, but there is also a layer of flannelette to keep stop the grey from showing through the white parts.



I did simple ditch stitching, so you can see the design from the back as well. Pretty cool, huh? I thought the backing would cause me trouble, but it was a breeze to sew - and Bernie only dropped a couple of stitches the whole time. Amazing!


Finished size 70cm x 130cm.

I hope she likes it! I even finished it with a week to spare..... ;) Hopefully, she will send me a pic of the new bubba actually using it, and I can post an update...