15 September 2012

Angel baby...

I started this project MANY years ago after I bought the doll from an Op Shop. I thought he had the most angelic look about him, so of course he had to become one.

I had already completed his shoes and gown out of really soft fabric, and the wings were already purchased. All he needed was some underthings and the wings attached. The problem was that his arms turn outward so any clothes need to have enormous armholes! Not such a problem for the gown, but the underthings were a little more difficult.

I hunted through my books to find a solution, and the Doll Dressmaker was full of ideas. I thought a onesie would work best, but how do I reduce the bulk at the back and shoulders, while allowing for the arms?? Make it like an overall, with a bib and brace style front. Worked a treat!! With some careful planning I managed to hide all the Velcro stitching into the lining and even put a little lace on the hems! Took the best part of this afternoon, but worth it, I think.

Since I made an extra special effort in my neatness, he will go in for judging at this years Canning Show.....