23 September 2012

Enid Gilchrist, another collection obsession...

Along with my collection of dolls and miniature seeing machines, I LOVE old sewing magazines! Or more specifically, magazines by Enid Gilchrist.

Enid Beatrice Gilchrist was a fashion designer who revolutionised the way Australian women made clothes from the 50's to the 70's. She developed a drafting system that allowed the home seamstress to create styles of the day with ease.

Originally, Enid wrote articles for New Idea, and later created a series of magazines with designs from babies to adults. It is these that I collect, although any old sewing books interest me.

I love the hand drawn illustrations, the designs - even the browning paper they are printed on! That smell is so distinct!!

Although I have quite a few, it is nowhere near a complete collection. Many are duplicates of the same magazine with different pricing, or even a complete cover change! Many have damaged or missing covers and I'm always on the lookout for replacements. But having a damaged one is better than none at all!!

List of titles I have complete :
Clothes for your Baby
Baby Book
Girls Gear
Boy and Girls Clothes
Undies, Beach and Sleepwear
Women and Teenagers
Play Clothes
Little Coats and Dresses
70's Styles
Under 5
Sixes and Sevens
Three to Six
Six to Nine
Nine to Eleven
Sleepwear and Undies
Fancy Dress
Pinnies 'n' Things
Dolls Clothes
Maternity Wear
Betweens (no cover)
Preschool Clothes (no cover)
Toddlers Clothes (no cover)

Looking for :
Teen Dolls
Kindergarten Set
Ten to Teens
Teenagers and Small Women
Casual Clothes

Not sure how many more there are!

These are titles listed on the backs of the magazines that I don't have. I will try and do a better matchup of older and newer covers at a later date, maybe even a chart! Time pending, of course!!