07 August 2018

Cushion Upcycle

A while ago, mum gave me a cushion cover. It has a cute printed owl wearing a bowtie on the front. The fabric is quite sturdy, like a canvas, so it will make a great bag :)

 
 
After unpicking the cushion, I needed to decide what to do with the back. As a cushion, it had an envelope opening at the back with large buttons and buttonholes as closures. I originally was just going to stitch the pieces together and leave the buttons there for decoration. After unpicking, I decided that I would make it into a pocket...… more on that later.....
 

 
I had a plan - add a side wall. I auditioned a couple of different fabrics, but thought the stars would be the best match for the stripes:
 
 
 
 
I then cut the strips to fit the sides, and added some curtain lining to give it some oomph. The fabric itself was quite light, so it needed some extra strength to match the heavier canvas type fabric of the owl. I also ran a row of stitching down the sides to hold fabric and backing together.
 
Stitch each side to the front and back (minus the seam allowance), then the corners can be stitched.
 
Straps added under a facing, turn it out, and job done!
Finished size approx. 53cm x 53cm excluding the straps
 

 
 
Note the rear pocket :) I used the original lower piece and buttons, and made a feature out of some blue cord. Not as successful, but made it interesting.....