02 February 2014

We're off to see the a Wizard...

I had a brainwave in the night, and have decided to tackle a theme - The Wizard of Oz - and first to be attempted is the Tin Man.


Good 'ol aluminium foil and cardboard....what could possibly go wrong?? :)

Well, firstly, alfoil is REALLY THIN!! Just cutting it is tricky, then you have to glue it without it wrinkling up! Yikes!!

Ok, so I started with the body by trying to stick it straight of - FAIL! So, I stuck a big piece onto some plain paper with spray adhesive, pushed all the wrinkles out with my fingers and waited for it to dry, then cut to fit - SUCCESS!! This may actually work! 

But what about his head? A quick trip to Spotlight, to get some silver Lycra that would do the job. I am also experimenting with a "nose" underneath the head sock. Not sure if I will keep it, but it's there for now. It's just a split pin with some spacers to give it depth... 


And he needs arms and legs! Once I decided on a style, the same issues would still arise - how to glue the foil without it wrinkling? But with the smaller pieces, it was less of a problem, although in hindsight, I would treat the foil with paper.... However, what I ended up with was a compromise. I also needed to differentiate between where legs/arms ended and feet/hands began, so they were done as separate pieces inserted into the two-pieces - like my original Santa....

Anyhow, here he is as of right now : 


He needs some buttons and a face and bits, but a good start.....