18 April 2015

Kimonos

I have always wanted to do a kimono quilt. So, after scouring the net for inspiration, I realised I already had a pattern I saved years ago.  One has 3 different types of kimono, plus another that is more complicated, and includes a head. As a bonus, I can use up some small scraps as contrast, but I can also use some brights and florals to keep it cheery....

Both patterns are foundation pieced, which should help any stretching issue. Each kimono has 3 pieces, so not too difficult. I will make them all, since they are already printed, so maybe I will make a cushion or bag with the other one? Will have to see what transpires....


I have tested the single coat, and I think has worked pretty well, although I think the hair should go down the side of the head, which will be easy to adjust. Alł fabric is from my scrap basket....


Now to test the other ones...


Not too bad, and quick, too! 


Now, seeing them all together, I think the one with the head wins! I can make them as I feel like it, but I need to reverse the pattern to get the stripe on the correct side....

They will not go to waste, though. I see bags or cushions in their future. ;)