10 November 2013

Bits and pieces...

The weather has started to heat up, so a lot of time is being spent indoors! 

A trawl through some old mags and I found a gem! Pretty vague instructions, but the image is clear - a shoe!! The mag was printed before visoflix existed, so a bit if tweaking and I ended up with these, all from scraps, I might add (always a bonus!!)


Not sure what I am going to do with them, but they are ready when needed!

I was also keen to find and finish a project I started AGES a ago, with the intention of giving it to my grandma for Christmas, but never got past the "tinkering" stage. Although, quite by surprise, I was actually further ahead than I remembered! All paper pieced...


The idea was to use Dutch symbolism - tulips, delft, clogs, etc - to make a quilt. I knew I had already finished the centre girl, but discovered that I was already done with the jug and partway through the windmill! I somehow remember that I was testing the idea of the blades in embroidery in white, so I finished off the last 2 blades and added the ivy on the front. I haven't done hand embroidery for a long time, but it all comes flooding back. Completely free form....



The jug is similar in style, the design copied from an old Delft tile :



The centrepiece I enlarged from a much smaller pattern. Unfortunately she looks like she has a rugby players neck, but I can ignore it... :)





Not sure on the clogs.... I don't like the colours, something doesn't sit right.... I should have gone with red, not brown, but unless I can find some background fabric, I can't remake anything! I also have a pattern for a tulip, but the same applies. With no background fabric, it makes it more difficult.....

I will stew over these decisions for a few days, and hopefully reach a decision and get it finished!! Yay!!