06 May 2014

Almost finished...

12 months ago I started playing with triangles, using repeated designs to make hexagons (inspired by the quilts made by Linda Rotz Miller Quilts & Quilt Tops) plus I added Y seam spacers - was I CRAZY?? Short answer - yes... Yes, I was!! ;)


Some worked perfectly first time, others not so much. Plus, the fabric I used looked like a perfect repeat pattern, but clearly had some differences across the fabric, but it was close enough for a first try. Also making it difficult was not having the proper rulers. I was using a cardboard triangle template to try and make accurate cuts...


Anyhoo, I added some missing pieces from some plain white, squared it off and added some framing. Thinking about it now, I should have used a contrast - that would have given me an interesting frame, but hey.... hindsight is 20/20, right??


It now quilted in the ditc, through the centres of the Y and back through the centres of the hexies. I found that these were quite bulky, but not unmanageable. I am doing a self binding in red, only because this is what I had on hand....


And the back....


Maybe I'll finish it this weekend? If the weather stays as miserable as it is now it's a pretty good chance.... ;)