27 May 2014

The faces of Oz



So, I have been deliberating on how to do the faces on Dorothy and her friends, and discovered something that might work! I was reluctant to paint straight on, in case I made a mistake, so glueing on the features would be the easiest way to go. But how???

I found a pic on Google where the eyes were painted on a linen or tight woven fabric, then cut out and attached to the face. I didn't want them to fray, so I tried painting on some heavily pressed vilene, and it worked great!! I drew the design on paper, then copied it onto some vilene, painted it, waited for it to dry, then simply cut it out!! 


The hole on the lip is where I put a pin while testing - probably should have put it closer to the line, but it worked really well, so I will just have to live with it ;)



Tin man also got a heart and an axe....



Scarecrow got a diploma (braaaiiiins... LOL!)



And Cowardly Lion got a bravery medal (that will most likely be replaced, but it's what I had)

I think they turned out pretty good? I will definitely be trying this technique again... In fact, Toto is waiting for his face to be done. I'm not totally happy with it, so will live with it for a while and see how I feel before it's attached permanently....